- We ask that organizations use our online portal to submit a grant request. If your application is transmitted successfully you will see both a confirmation page and will receive an emailed copy of your application. If you do not receive these messages, your application may not have transmitted successfully. Please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 919-871-3329.
- If you need to submit a paper application, please download this guide.
- Both paper applications and online submissions will receive a hard copy mailed letter indicating we are in receipt of your proposal and when it will be considered by our board. If you do not receive this letter, please contact us to confirm we are in receipt of your application.
What are the deadlines?
The John William Pope Foundation accepts proposals for funding throughout the year. However, we traditionally act on proposals only twice a year spring (April/May) and fall (October/November). Urgent needs and projects that fall between meeting times may be considered at the discretion of the board.
- Most public policy and higher education grant requests are considered at our spring board meeting. We kindly request your applications for these grants by Monday, February 24, 2020 (last Monday of February).
- Most human service and arts grant requests are considered at our fall board meeting. We kindly request your applications for these grants by Monday, August 28, 2020 (last Monday of August).
What is the geographic scope of the Foundation’s giving?
The Pope Foundation is open to considering any proposal though there are some general geographic guidelines the Foundation traditionally follows when considering requests:
- Human services and arts giving: Wake and Vance Counties, sometimes extending into the Triangle.
- Higher education and student development: Primarily the Triangle, sometimes extending into other parts of the Carolinas.
- Public policy: North Carolina or national organizations with a North Carolina research/program focus.
What are typical request amounts? What should my nonprofit request?
There is no magic number or ideal request. If you have a question regarding the suitability of your application, we highly encourage you to review our past year’s grantees. This will give you an idea of the types of organizations we typically fund.
Grant Reporting Information: Unrestricted Grants
Please refer to your signed grant agreement letter for guidelines on information needed by the Pope Foundation. Please use the email address email@example.com when emailing grant reporting information.
Grant Reporting Information: Restricted Grants
Please refer to your signed grant agreement letter for guidelines on information needed by the Pope Foundation. An online portal to submit your restricted grant report is offered here. If you are unsure whether you are required to submit a report, please contact us at (919) 871-3329.
Joy W. Pope Memorial Grants in Art & Human Services
- The arts grant is designed for projects in visual arts, performing arts, and literary arts that serve the greater community.
- The human services grant is designed for projects in employment/occupation preparation, skills training, youth development (including childhood literacy/wellness intervention), and crisis services (including abuse, hunger relief, housing, mental health, and addiction among others). Other purposes may be considered, however the human services grant is not intended for medical research.