The John William Pope Foundation seeks applications for its 2018 Joy W. Pope Memorial Grant in The Arts and the 2018 Joy W. Pope Memorial Grant in Human Services. The grant, named in memory of Joy W. Pope, will fund one innovative human services project and one innovative arts project in North Carolina that create sustained value and aligns with the principles and mission of the John William Pope Foundation. Applications will be accepted between July 1, 2017-September 15, 2017.
With the goal to improve the well being of North Carolinians, the John William Pope Foundation makes grants to support humanitarian efforts, arts, and more. The Foundation’s mission is to ensure future generations have the opportunity to prosper. From its first grant in 1986 to the present, the Foundation’s giving has totaled over $100 million, primarily to charities and organizations in North Carolina. The wife of the late John William Pope, Joy W. Pope, was a longtime board member and the Foundation’s first president. Her enthusiasm for philanthropy was instrumental in developing the Foundation’s long history of humanitarian giving in the state.
2018 Joy W. Pope Memorial Grants in The Arts & Human Services Directions
Organizations who are interested in applying for the 2018 Joy W. Pope Memorial Grants in The Arts & Human Services should review the corresponding “Application Information” pdf below. Specific instructions, eligibility, the notification and award process, and timelines are contained in the”Application Information” document.
What kind of project should I submit?
- Organizations are limited to one project specific proposal (general support will not be awarded).
- Proposed projects can be, but are not limited to: capital improvements (new or existing facilities), program development and execution, management development/capacity building, equipment, and technology.
- The one-time award will be issued no earlier than January 2018.
- The grant is intended to either fully fund a project OR partially fund a project that will be finished or nearing immediate completion by December 31, 2018.
Who is eligible to apply for the grant?
- The applicant organization must be an IRS-designated 501(c) 3 charitable organization based in North Carolina and serving North Carolinians.
- Any nonprofit is eligible to apply whether they have/have not received funding or submitted a proposal in the past.
- No pre-inquiry or review is required to submit a proposal.
When should I expect to hear about the selected recipient?
- Applications accepted: July 1, 2017 – September 15, 2017.
- Decisions made: November 2017
- The Board of Directors will select one project in each area for funding during the annual November meeting.
- Selected organization notified: January 2018
- The selected organization’s president/CEO will be notified by phone around January 15, 2018. If the president cannot be reached, the contact person listed on the cover sheet will be notified (unless the organization specifies otherwise).
- Public announcement: January/February 2018
- Organizations whose projects are not selected for funding will receive mailed notification by February 15, 2018.
How should I apply? What information do you want?
- Applications should be submitted once online or by mail.
- Please review the corresponding ‘Application Information’ document before applying.
- Mail: POSTMARKED BY 9/15/17
- John William Pope Foundation, 4601 Six Forks Road, Ste 300, Raleigh, NC 27609
- Online: LINK TO APPLICATION
- We offer an online form that requests the exact same information as a paper application.The link will take you to an online secure application. Please note attachments cannot total more than 25 MB. The online application can be previewed without completing it.