The John William Pope Foundation seeks applications for its 2018 Joy W. Pope Memorial Grant in The Arts and the 2018 Joy W. Pope Memorial Grant in Human Services. The grant, named in memory of Joy W. Pope, will fund one innovative human services project and one innovative arts project in North Carolina that create sustained value and aligns with the principles and mission of the John William Pope Foundation. Applications will be accepted between July 1, 2017-September 15, 2017.
With the goal to improve the well being of North Carolinians, the John William Pope Foundation makes grants to support humanitarian efforts, arts, and more. The Foundation’s mission is to ensure future generations have the opportunity to prosper. From its first grant in 1986 to the present, the Foundation’s giving has totaled over $100 million, primarily to charities and organizations in North Carolina. The wife of the late John William Pope, Joy W. Pope, was a longtime board member and the Foundation’s first president. Her enthusiasm for philanthropy was instrumental in developing the Foundation’s long history of humanitarian giving in the state.
2018 Joy W. Pope Memorial Grant in The Arts
Creative expression is the hallmark of a truly civil society. That’s why the John William Pope Foundation supports North Carolina’s vibrant arts community. A free and prosperous nation has the resources to pour into the arts, to preserve a national heritage and legacy for future generations. What begins in the arts often filters down into popular culture, impacting everyone. As a result, every citizen should be concerned about bettering the arts.
Organizations who are interested in applying for the 2018 Joy W. Pope Memorial Grant in the Arts should review the guidelines below and download the applicable Request for Applications. Specific instructions and submission information is all located in the Request for Applications. Guidelines, eligibility, the notification and award process, and timelines are identical for both grants. Please direct all questions to grants at jwpf.org. At this time, all applications should be submitted via email or mail.
2018 Joy W. Pope Memorial Grant in Human Services
To help cultivate an environment of opportunity, the Pope Foundation makes grants to nonprofits addressing immediate needs (like hunger, health, housing, etc.) and nonprofits that focus on longterm skill development and generational quality of life improvement (jobs training, substance abuse prevention, behavioral intervention, etc.). Ultimately, restoring individuals and families in crisis ensures that future generations have the opportunity to prosper, economically and personally.
Organizations who are interested in applying for the 2018 Joy W. Pope Memorial Grant in Human Services should review the guidelines below and download the applicable Request for Applications. Specific instructions and submission information is all located in the Request for Applications. Guidelines, eligibility, the notification and award process, and timelines are identical for both grants. Please direct all questions to grants at jwpf.org. At this time, all applications should be submitted via email or mail.
Guidelines (both grants):
- Organizations are limited to one project specific proposal (general support will not be awarded).
- Proposed projects can be, but are not limited to: capital improvements (new or existing facilities), program development and execution, management development/capacity building, equipment, and technology.
- The one-time award will be issued no earlier than January 2018.
- The grant is intended to either fully fund a project OR partially fund a project that will be finished or nearing immediate completion by December 31, 2018.
Eligibility (both grants):
- The applicant organization must be an IRS-designated 501(c) 3 charitable organization based in North Carolina and serving North Carolinians.
- Any nonprofit is eligible to apply whether they have/have not received funding or submitted a proposal in the past.
- No pre-inquiry or review is required to submit a proposal. Please review the application guidelines and submit all requested documentation.
Timeline (both grants):
- Applications accepted: July 1, 2017 – September 15, 2017.
- Selected organization notified: January 2018
- Public announcement: January/February 2018
Submission (both grants):
- Applications should be submitted once via email or mail. The contact person listed on the cover sheet will receive submission confirmation.
- Email (time stamped by end of day on 9/15): grants at jwpf.org OR
- Mail (postmarked by 9/15): Attn: Joy W. Pope Memorial Grant in The Arts, John William Pope Foundation, 4601 Six Forks Road, Ste 300, Raleigh, NC 27609
Review and Notification (both grants):
- Once all applications have been reviewed, the Board of Directors will select one project for funding. The selected organization’s president/CEO will be notified by phone around January 15, 2018. If the president cannot be reached, the contact person listed on the cover sheet will be notified (unless the organization specifies otherwise).
- Organizations whose projects are not selected for funding will receive mailed notification by February 15, 2018.