Founded in 1986, the John William Pope Foundation has a proud tradition of principled giving in North Carolina and beyond. A small, dedicated staff works to uphold the values and mission of the organization. Fellowship and career opportunities with the foundation will be posted if they are available.
Now Accepting Applications: 2017 Annual Blundell FellowshipThe John William Pope Foundation is an established grant making family foundation supporting public policy, humanitarian, arts, and education nonprofits. Located in Raleigh, North Carolina, the foundation has given over $100 million since its founding in 1986. Leaders of the foundation include President John Hood (former president of the John Locke Foundation, a North Carolina-based think tank) and Chairman Art Pope (business owner and former state budget director). OVERVIEW Established in 2015, the ‘Blundell Fellowship,’ named in honor of the late free market leader John Blundell, is offered annually to a recent college or university graduate who has an interest in advancing freedom and pursuing a career in public policy, academia, journalism, philanthropy, or public service. The Blundell Fellow spends a year at the John William Pope Foundation (JWPF) working as a program assistant, exploring options for future employment or graduate study, and completing a special project. The Fellow will gain experience with nonprofits and will have the opportunity to engage with other organizations and leaders in the foundation’s four giving areas.Specific duties may include but are not limited to:• Assist JWPF program officers in soliciting, researching, and evaluating grant proposals.
• Communicate with current and prospective grantees to ensure compliance with donor intent, foundation procedures, and legal requirements.
• Monitor JWPF-supported programs and collect outcome data to evaluate effectiveness. This may include attending lectures, special events, and some limited travel.
• Assist other staff members in preparing for regularly scheduled meetings of the JWPF board of directors and otherwise briefing board members about ongoing or prospective grants.
• Complete a special project designed to build the program, administrative, or development capacity of one or more JWPF grantees.
Applicants should have at least a four-year undergraduate degree by May 2017. Applicants with additional academic degrees (graduate level or beyond) will also be considered, though the fellowship is best suited for those with limited work history.
Applicants should be available for full-time employment based in Raleigh for one calendar year. JWPF will work with the chosen candidate to establish a start date between January 2017-May 2017.
JWPF will accept applications from December 6, 2016 – until the position is filled. The foundation’s website will be updated once the application period is closed.
Applications should contain the following items:
· Cover Letter: Detail your proposed start and end date for the fellowship.
· Fellowship Questionnaire: Download the job description and questionnaire here.
· Resume: Include work history and educational achievements (major/minor, club participation, awards, etc).
· Letter of Reference: From a past employer or an academic supervisor/professor. Please enclose the letter with your application materials and ask the reference to include contact information in the signature block.
· Writing Sample: Should be at least 700 words long and can be a school assignment, a newspaper column, an online column/blog post, or some similar piece that illustrates the applicant’s style, interests, and use of supporting information.
Please send completed application materials as one package or email to:
Lindsay Hollandsworth, Lindsay.hollandsworth at jwpf.org
John William Pope Foundation, 4601 Six Forks Road, Suite 300, Raleigh, NC 27609
Applicants may be asked for phone, video-conferencing, or in-person interviews. All applicants will be notified about the status of their applications as soon as possible.
The fellowship provides a compensation package of $30,000/year, a health and dental plan, holidays and paid time off, and accompanying benefits. For questions, please email Lindsay Hollandsworth at Lindsay.Hollandsworth at jwpf.org.